Have you ever considered the great courage Joseph displayed as his young family was formed and began to grow? This Christmas season, take a fresh look at his indomitable faith and courage in the face of the unknown.
Read Matthew 1:18-2:23.
We rarely hear sermons preached on great faith or courage with Joseph the husband of Mary as the central example. Sadly, his role in the Christmas story has become almost a caricature we tend to skim over at other points on the Christian calendar.
Consider what this key New Testament figure endured in the short chapter and a half of Matthew where his story appears:
- An angel of the Lord appeared to him in dreams not once, not twice, but three times.
- He was told to believe that his fiancée’s pregnancy was the result of a miraculous conception and not an indiscretion.
- He was also told that the child was the long-awaited Messiah, and was instructed to go through with the marriage as planned.
- He kept his new bride a virgin until the child was born.
- Exotic foreign visitors made an unannounced appearance at his home…
View original post 298 more words